For the academic year 2023–2024, applications are now being accepted for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program 2023/2024 (Vanier CGS), which offers fully supported opportunities for Master’s and PhD candidates to study in Canada. Details on eligibility, perks, prerequisites, the selection procedure, application procedures, and other relevant information are provided below.
A notable scholarship program for international students pursuing PhD studies in Canada is the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program 2023/2024. This program offers substantial financial assistance, awarding applicants $50,000 per year for three years.
International students interested in pursuing PhD studies at famous Canadian universities can apply for the Vanier Canadian Government Scholarships. During the course of their PhD studies, the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship offers a significant annual stipend of $50,000 for three years. This program seeks to draw in and keep outstanding PhD candidates who exhibit high levels of academic performance in the social and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, and health-related subjects, as well as excellent leadership abilities.
The History of Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program was started by the Canadian government in 2008 with the intention of improving Canada’s capacity to draw in and keep top-tier doctoral students, thereby establishing Canada as a hub for excellence in higher education and research worldwide. Vanier Scholars are honored for their academic excellence and demonstrated leadership in the scientific sciences, engineering, social sciences, humanities, and health-related professions. These grants are designed for students enrolled in doctorate program, as well as program combining an MD or PhD with an MA. The scholarship is summarized below.:
- Level of Study: PhD (Doctoral)
- Institution(s): Canadian institution with a quota for hosting Vanier scholars
- Study Location: Canada
- Program Duration: 3 years
Fields of Study Covered
- Natural sciences and/or engineering research
- Health research
- Social sciences and humanities research
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship provides $50,000 per year for three years during the pursuit of a doctoral degree.
To be eligible for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program 2023/2024, you must meet the following criteria:
- Proficiency in English.
- Eligible for Permanent residents of Canada, Canadian citizens, and Foreign citizens.
- Pursuing your first doctoral degree, including joint undergraduate/graduate research programs (e.g., MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) with a significant research component.
- Not having completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2023/2024.
- Nomination by a Canadian institution with a Vanier CGS quota.
- Intent to pursue full-time doctoral studies and research at the nominating institution in the upcoming summer semester or academic year.
- No previous or current doctoral-level scholarships or fellowships from CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC.
- Achieved a first-class average in the last two years of full-time study or equivalent, as determined by your institution.
How to Apply for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program 2023/2024 (Vanier CGS)
Visit the official Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program 2023/2024 website (link provided at the end of this post) to submit an application. The following are crucial application instructions to help you navigate the procedure:
Step 1: Start by browsing the Universities Canada website to learn more about Canadian universities. The university of Alberta graduate program is one university to look out for. Investigate each university’s website in depth, learn more about the PhD program of interest, and find possible research advisors.
Step 2: Verify that your preferred university has a quota for the application year by checking the Vanier CGS quota page.
Complete Application Steps
- Applications are started either by the student notifying the graduate studies faculty at their chosen institution of their intention to apply for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program 2023/2024 or by the institution starting the nomination procedure by getting in touch with the intended applicant.
- Utilising the Research Net application system, prepare your application and send it to the nominating institution before their internal deadline.
- The internal candidate selection procedure will be carried out by the nominating institution.
- The Vanier-Banting Secretariat receives suggested nominations for coordination and review.
- Final decisions for the Vanier CGS programme are endorsed and approved by the Tri-Agency Programmes (TAP) Steering Committee.
- Results of the competition will be sent to nominees.
Important Documents Required
Your application package for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program 2023/2024 should include the following documents:
- Research Net application form (including two letters of reference with three sections each).
- A Common CV (CCV) with limited entries (see Completing the Common CV (CCV) for full information).
- Research Contributions (maximum one page).
- A Personal Leadership Statement (maximum 2 pages).
- Special Circumstances (maximum 0.5 page, optional).
- Two Leadership letters of reference (maximum 2 pages each).
- A Research Proposal (maximum 2 pages).
- Project References (maximum 5 pages).
Important Notes Regarding Vanier Application
- Through Research Net, complete your Vanier CGS electronic application, and then submit it online to the Canadian institution that will serve as your nomination. Direct application submission to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program 2023/2024, is not permitted.
- Verify whether the institution has a Vanier CGS quota before deciding to pursue PhD studies there, and let them know you’d like to be considered.
- If your application is not chosen for nomination, the institution will let you know. Each institution may have a different deadline for this communication.
- You can only receive one institution’s nomination. You must pick one institution if more than one expresses interest in nominating you for a Vanier CGS.
- For assistance in choosing the best federal awarding agency as well as suggestions on the content and presentation of applications, get in touch with the institution.
- As a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive application, review the resources provided by the secretariat.
This comprehensive guide covers essential details about the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program 2023/2024, ensuring that potential applicants are well-prepared for this prestigious opportunity to further their education in Canada.